For an island, the sea is a hotspot in terms of recreation and leisure. And when it comes to the island continent – Australia, surfing is an activity adored by aspiring young children to savvy adults alike. There are only two things required to surf – the sea (well, that was obvious, wasn’t it?) and, of course, surfboards. Now you may ask, isn’t surfing dangerous? Won’t a shark eat me!? Let me clear all your doubts and tell you why surfing should be your go-to activity for fun!
Here are six reasons why you should take up surfing as a hobby today!
1. The Adrenaline Rush – We all want fun in our mundane lives, don’t we? The rush of adrenaline from surfing is all you need to feel free and young again! Surfing stimulates the brain to release dopamine – a hormone that gives your body the feeling of pleasure. It motivates you to push harder and make yourself better. You will indeed feel more and more compelled to excel at surfing, and the hormones will do their work to reach a fantastic state of mind.
2. The Evergreen Nature – The sea is always constant. You never have to think about it being closed, duh! One thing to note is that you will have to wait for the waves, and then you can take up your surfboard and enjoy the moment to the fullest!
3. A Fitter Body – Gone are the times where you have to spend hours in the gym to boost your cardio. With surfing, you’ll do your share of cardio which is essential for the body and brain. The minor soreness will make you feel good and bring a sense of accomplishment. And the best thing is, you would be having so much fun doing it that you won’t feel as if you’re doing an essential exercise.
4. Healthy Bonding – While surfing, you’ll create an evergreen bond with the environment around you. You’ll feel a part of nature that you might not have felt before. Also, you’ll create relationships with people that will blossom further as you start pushing yourself towards becoming a better surfer.
5. Bragging rights – We all like to have something good said about ourselves, right!? Who knows, after taking up surfing as a hobby, you might turn out to be a professional surfer, riding the high waves like a flamboyant superstar. We are all fascinated by surfing pictures when we scroll through the web, aren’t we? It is your chance to be on the other end of the screen for once, watched by millions throughout the world! It will bring you forward in life and act as a platform for succeeding and achieving it all.
6. Lesson of Life – Hobbies influence and shape us as a person. Subconsciously, you will be more confident in life as a result of this activity. You will be aware of your surroundings and face challenges while averting danger – a skill essential in the modern-day world.
7. Easy learning curve – A newbie can learn surfing in a month by devoting just two hours a day. The initial stage may seem a tad frustrating, but as you go on making progress, you’ll find it very easy to learn and grasp.
So what are you waiting for? Head up to the beach with your favourite surfboard and have a go at it. Be free, enjoy the waves and try to bring out the best in you. And the best thing is that you will do all of this while having the time of your life!
Ester Adams is a farmer of words in the field of creativity. She is an experienced independent content writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry. She is a multi-niche content chef who loves cooking new things.